And as you can see my schedule is getting rather crazy! But it is all good in the hood. I am so excited to be able to spread the message of awareness everywhere I possibly can. Please check out my tour page to see where I will be in the month of April. I have several events coming up including radio and lots of travel. I have many work-related requirements this month also as it is National Victims Rights Week during April 13th — 18th also.
What an amazing and inspiring month to help share this important message of hope with others, that no matter what you experience in life, no matter how far you get beaten down, you can pick yourself up and you are not alone.
I want to start off with some very disturbing statistics from PCAR and RAINN:
- A sexual assault occurs every 2.5 minutes in America. By the time this presentation is done approximately 28 people will have fallen victim to sexual assault.
- One in six woman have been sexually assault and one is 33 men have been sexually assaulted.
- Nearly 90% of alcoholic women were sexually abused as children or suffered severe violence at the hands of a parent.
Victims of sexual assault are…
- Three times more likely to suffer from depression.
- Six times more likely to suffer from post traumatic stress disorder.
- Thirteen times more likely to abuse alcohol.
- Twenty-six times more likely to abuse drugs.
- Four times more likely to contemplate suicide.
Studies have found that approximately 30 percent of all lesbians have an alcohol abuse problem — 2006 Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration Center for Substance Abuse Treatments
I was a poster child for these statistics…but not today! Today I can share my experience, strength and hope with others so that we may somehow make a dent in these statistics. Do something this month for the cause. Speak up, speak out and do something! Get involved in local events, attend a rally or function in your area. Purchase a book for a friend that you know is in need. Use your voice!
Hopefully I will see you on my travels this month!